2017 Event Recap
It had been a few years since we'd held our annual event at Salishan Spa & Golf Resort, and it was worth the wait! On Septemebr 13-15, 2017, we had ten great speakers present to the group on different topics, including employee wellness, connected vehicles, the Transportation Package, cyber security, and more. ATA's Chris Spear enticed the group with his speech from a national perspective. The Truck PAC Gala was new this year, and our Awards Banquet was as lovely as ever with a hand-picked jazz duo. The venue was beautiful, and we hope everyone joins us in 2018 (venue/date TBD). As we plan for next year, we'd love to hear your feedback on what and who you'd like to see! Pictures will be available on our member-login page.
Congratulations to Tom Campbell (not pictured), FedEx Ground, our Carrier Member of the Year and Mike Boyd, R H Sheppard Co, our Allied Member of the Year!
Our annual Oregon Truck PAC fundraiser on July 25, 2017 was a success this year with over 125 golfers! We had perfect weather. There were a few close-calls for the "Chipping in the Pond" challenge, but no winners this year. Thank you to our members and sponsors for your continued support to help move our advocacy efforts forward. See the event photos via our member login page.
Congratulations to all the winners of our 2017 TDC on June 24, and congratulations to all Oregon competitors that placed at ATA's National TDC in Orlando. Thank you to all our volunteers and sponsors. We hope to see you next year!
Click on the "Winners" image below for a PDF version.
2017 Oregon Truck Driving Championship (TDC)
2017 DSU Vendor Fair
OTA was invited to attend a vendor fair hosted by our member, DSU Peterbilt & GMC, Inc May 17, 2017 at the Portland Expo Center. The event was a great opportunity to see the latest and greatest in technology from their vendors and also offered exclusive deals only available at the fair.
Trucking Trivia Questions & Answers
1. What year was Oregon Trucking Associations (originally Oregon Motor Transport Association, Inc.) founded? 1939
2. How many miles of roads are maintained by ODOT? ~8,000
3. What is the focus of the CVSA Road Check-In/Inspection in June 2017? Load Securement
4. If you operate a mobile vehicle maintenance vehicle (shop truck) that travels in the Portland and Vancouver area that has a GVWR of 12,000 lbs., what minimum regulations are in place for the vehicle and the driver? (This may be a non-CDL commercial motor vehicle.) Driver Qualification File, Medical Card, Hours of Service, Vehicle Maintenance Records
5. How many feet per second does a vehicle travel at 50 mph? 73
6. What is the minimum tread depth of a steer tire on a commercial motor vehicle to pass an inspection? 4/32 of an inch
7. Where will the 2017 National SuperTech Competition take place? Orlando, FL (September 16-21)
8. If a driver reports a repair on his daily vehicle inspection report, besides the driver, who needs to sign off on the report for the vehicle to be cleared? The repair technician and the next driver of the vehicle
April 20-21 marked the annual Safety Conference in Springfield, OR. The event brought over 120 participants, over twelve presenters, and lots of great information on safety. During the awards breakfast, the 2017 Safety award winners and graduates of the inaugural NW Fleet Safety Certification Program were announced.
0 - 2 Million
Mitchell Bros. Truck Line, Inc.
2 Million - 3 Million
3 Million and Over
Thomas & Sons Dist.
Leavitt's Freight Service
0 - 5 Million
Kool Pak LLC
Over 15 Million
Oak Harbor Freight Line
15 Million and Over
0 - 750,000 Miles
Consolidated Supply Company
750,000 - 10 Million
Pepsi NW Beverages, LLC
Organically Grown Company
Over 10 Million
Western Hyway Oil
Melissa Brown, McGinn Bros. Trucking
Joe Moody, A&M Transport Inc.
Todd Boldin, Reddaway
Thank you to our sponsors: Willamette Traffic Bureau, Great West, EROAD, ATA, PeopleNet, SAIF Corporation, Anderson and Yamada, First Strike Environmental, LaPorte Insurance, CleanFleet, Voluntary Insurance Professionals, Provata Health, Zonar Systems, Pacific Fleet Inspections, and Combined Transport!
This annual event was and is a great way to showcase some of the best professional and student diesel technicians in Oregon! During the SuperTech competition on April 15, individuals were ranked on speed and accuracy with written and hands-on tests across a series of stations. After the event, JOST hosted a "fastest-hands" competition where last year's competitors held a rematch, and two new competitors were brought on. Winners were announced during the award ceremony, and are eligible to compete at ATA's National SuperTech competition. Congratulations!
- 1st place overall and Fleet Tech winner - Dean Berkheimer, Oak Harbor Freight Lines
- 2nd place overall and Dealer Tech winner - Alex Schmidt, TEC Equipment
- 3rd place overall winner - Craig Joplin, UPS
- 1st place Student winner - David Hook, Lane Community College
- 2nd place Student Winner - Tyler Neuschwander, Lane Community College
- Team Award - Oak Harbor Freight Lines
- "Fastest Hands" (hosted by JOST) winner - Michael Ralls, Oak Harbor Freight Lines
Our annual event on April 14 included a variety of presentations involving trucking maintenance updates, including new technology, safety, and compliance. The maintenance fair is perfect for new and experienced diesel technicians, maintenance personnel, and managers in the trucking industry. During our vendor fair at lunch, attendees met with our sponsors. Thank you to all who attended!
On February 22, OTA organized the Trucking Day at the Capitol event to help promote the trucking industry to legislators and the public. Five trailers were parked outside the Capitol building in Salem, including one of ATA's interactive America's Road Team Trailers. In addition to the OTA display in the galleria, over 100 participants gathered to hear presentations, meet with legislators, and show everyone why trucking is important to our economy!