2017 Event Recap
DSU Vendor Fair
Trucking Trivia Questions & Answers
1. What year was Oregon Trucking Associations (originally Oregon Motor Transport Association, Inc.) founded? 1939
2. How many miles of roads are maintained by ODOT? ~8,000
3. What is the focus of the CVSA Road Check-In/Inspection in June 2017? Load Securement
4. If you operate a mobile vehicle maintenance vehicle (shop truck) that travels in the Portland and Vancouver area that has a GVWR of 12,000 lbs., what minimum regulations are in place for the vehicle and the driver? (This may be a non-CDL commercial motor vehicle.) Driver Qualification File, Medical Card, Hours of Service, Vehicle Maintenance Records
5. How many feet per second does a vehicle travel at 50 mph? 73
6. What is the minimum tread depth of a steer tire on a commercial motor vehicle to pass an inspection? 4/32 of an inch
7. Where will the 2017 National SuperTech Competition take place? Orlando, FL (September 16-21)
8. If a driver reports a repair on his daily vehicle inspection report, besides the driver, who needs to sign off on the report for the vehicle to be cleared? The repair technician and the next driver of the vehicle
2017 SMC Safety Conference
April 20-21 marked the annual Safety Conference in Springfield, OR. The event brought over 120 participants, over twelve presenters, and lots of great information on safety. During the awards breakfast, the 2017 Safety award winners and graduates of the inaugural NW Fleet Safety Certification Program were announced.
0 - 2 Million
Mitchell Bros. Truck Line, Inc.
2 Million - 3 Million
3 Million and Over
Thomas & Sons Dist.
Leavitt's Freight Service
0 - 5 Million
Kool Pak LLC
Over 15 Million
Oak Harbor Freight Line
15 Million and Over
0 - 750,000 Miles
Consolidated Supply Company
750,000 - 10 Million
Pepsi NW Beverages, LLC
Organically Grown Company
Over 10 Million
Western Hyway Oil
Melissa Brown, McGinn Bros. Trucking
Joe Moody, A&M Transport Inc.
Todd Boldin, Reddaway
Thank you to our sponsors: Willamette Traffic Bureau, Great West, EROAD, ATA, PeopleNet, SAIF Corporation, Anderson and Yamada, First Strike Environmental, LaPorte Insurance, CleanFleet, Voluntary Insurance Professionals, Provata Health, Zonar Systems, Pacific Fleet Inspections, and Combined Transport!
2017 Oregon TMC SuperTech Competition
This annual event was and is a great way to showcase some of the best professional and student diesel technicians in Oregon! During the SuperTech competition on April 15, individuals were ranked on speed and accuracy with written and hands-on tests across a series of stations. After the event, JOST hosted a "fastest-hands" competition where last year's competitors held a rematch, and two new competitors were brought on. Winners were announced during the award ceremony, and are eligible to compete at ATA's National SuperTech competition. Congratulations!
- 1st place overall and Fleet Tech winner - Dean Berkheimer, Oak Harbor Freight Lines
- 2nd place overall and Dealer Tech winner - Alex Schmidt, TEC Equipment
- 3rd place overall winner - Craig Joplin, UPS
- 1st place Student winner - David Hook, Lane Community College
- 2nd place Student Winner - Tyler Neuschwander, Lane Community College
- Team Award - Oak Harbor Freight Lines
- "Fastest Hands" (hosted by JOST) winner - Michael Ralls, Oak Harbor Freight Lines
2017 TMC Maintenance Fair
Our annual event on April 14 included a variety of presentations involving trucking maintenance updates, including new technology, safety, and compliance. The maintenance fair is perfect for new and experienced diesel technicians, maintenance personnel, and managers in the trucking industry. During our vendor fair at lunch, attendees met with our sponsors. Thank you to all who attended!
2017 Trucking Day at the Capitol
On February 22, OTA organized the Trucking Day at the Capitol event to help promote the trucking industry to legislators and the public. Five trailers were parked outside the Capitol building in Salem, including one of ATA's interactive America's Road Team Trailers. In addition to the OTA display in the galleria, over 100 participants gathered to hear presentations, meet with legislators, and show everyone why trucking is important to our economy!