In order to disinfect against the novel coronavirus that causes the disease COVID-19 and also avoid damaging surface finishes in customer trucks, below are the recommended disinfecting methods.
CONTACT TIME -
According to the EPA: the contact time is the amount of time the surface should be treated for. The surface should be visibly wet for the duration of the contact time. Contact time varies widely by brand, product, and application method (wipe vs. spray). Check the full list for your specific product. Full EPA guidelines for contact time are available HERE: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2
· Ethanol wipes: 5 minutes
· Lysol® disinfecting wipes: 10 minutes
· Lysol® disinfectant spray: 10 minutes
SOFT SURFACES -
· Soft surfaces (cloth, vinyl, leather, and nonwovens) must be cleaned withethanol ONLY:
· Ammonia based cleaning solutions (for example Lysol® brand non-bleach disinfectant wipes or ready to use spray) and hydrogen peroxide must NOT be used to disinfect soft trims.
· Isopropyl alcohol must never be used on leather seats or leather steering wheels, use ethanol ONLY.
· Bleach in any form (wipes, ready to use spray, solution from concentrate) mustNEVER be used on any surface.
HARD SURFACES -
· Ethanol only must be used on:
- Painted/surface treated plastics: e.g. deco trims, chromed accents, controls like knobs and buttons
- Mold-in-color plastic surfaces: e.g. A/B pillars, non-leather steering wheels, plastic grab handles
· Ammonia based cleaning solutions (for example Lysol® brand non-bleach disinfectant wipes or ready to use cleaning spray) and/or ethanol may be used only on the following:
- Painted or enameled metal surfaces: e.g. exterior door handles
- Unpainted metal surfaces: e.g. exterior metal grab handles
- Exterior decals: e.g. window blackout film
- Bleach in any form (wipes, ready to use spray, solution from concentrate) must NEVER be used on any surface.
- White spirit/paint thinner is NOT included in the list of approved disinfectants for use against the novel coronavirus and should NOT be used as a disinfectant. It will also cause damage to most surfaces.
Disinfecting methods for surface treatments: Summary
AMMONIA-BASED (Lysol® or similar)
OK for all hard and soft finishes, including:
- Hard deco trims
- Painted plastic
- Molded in color plastic
*Isopropyl alcohol must never be used on real leather. Use ethanol ONLY!
OK for limited surfaces ONLY. If in doubt, use ethanol!
- Painted or enameled metal
- Unpainted metal
- Exterior decals
The following should NEVER be used to disinfect, in any form (wipe, ready to use, diluted solution, etc.):
- Bleach – will discolor and damage surfaces, even in dilute solution!
- White Spirit/Paint Thinner – not listed as EPA approved disinfectant against novel coronavirus (LINK), will cause damage